Sunday, October 20, 2013

European Wish List: 6 Things I Wish I Knew Before My First Trip

Travel is always an adventure. Experiencing places you've never been, living in a foreign culture, adjusting to a different way of living. These things can always cause a bit of stress.

The first time I traveled to Europe, i naively stamped my passport and got on the plane with not much of a care of what i was going to experience. Little did I know, Europe is not the United States.

Putting this first trip into perspective, I ask myself, what are some important things i would have liked to know on my first trip to Europe that would have saved me some sleepless nights and few finger nails. While there is a whole host of things one should know before traveling to a foreign country, especially Europe, I have decided on 6 things that I would have put on my first timers wish list.

1) Europe is Expensive

This is probably a no brainer but for me, i was too excited thinking about all we would see and not about how much it would cost to see those things. The U.S. dollar is very weak compared to the currencies found in Europe, specifically the Euro. The price of food alone can clean your wallet out in a hurry. For example, we walked into a McDonald's in Lucerne, Switzerland and saw that a Big Mac value meal cost almost $13 USD. Restaurants can be crazy expensive especially if you are sitting down in the restaurant. Dining in can cost in the range of $20-$50. To save money, head to the local market, convenience shop or grocery store where you can find cheaper prices.

2) Bathrooms Can Be An Adventure

Unlike the U.S., bathrooms can at times be hard to come by in Europe. Once you find one, a good portion of the time, you have to pay to use them. On several occasions, we would walk into a restaurant to use the bathroom, but to our dismay, they were only open to paying customers. One good side to paying for a bathroom is that they are usually well kept and clean, I guess that is what the $3 is for. At times you can find free bathrooms but use them at your own risk. In several countries we found free bathrooms filled with traditional Turkish stalls (squatters), which you never see in America, so it can be a shock. Trains have free bathrooms but they can be shady at times. Try and plan well and don't over do it on the fluids.

3) Hotels Are Bare Bones

In the U.S. we are used to having plush hotels equipped with our own private bathroom and queen size beds. Europeans take the minimalist approach when designing their hotels. Now I'm talking about the medium priced hotels not luxury hotels. A typical 3 star European hotel will give you a pretty tightly spaced room, two separate double sized beds with comfortable but thin mattresses, a small window with a view, and a community bathroom somewhere on your floor that is shared by every room on that floor. Don't get me wrong, most of these hotels are clean and are perfect for getting a decent nights rest. Keep in mind that European countries have different cultures and different hotel styles. Expect a clean, comfortable, tight room.

4) Use the Trains

The trains in Europe can be a god send. Trains are a fast and efficient way of getting to the places that you want without the hassle of getting lost in a maze of European roadways. Most trains arrive on time and take you straight to the heart of most of the must see attractions and destinations within each country. Buying a Eurorail pass is the way to go if you are going to be spending time in several different countries as well as save you from the hassle of buying tickets for every destination. Switzerland had the best train system. The trains are relatively clean, safe and arrive precisely on time. The Italian train system was the worst. Many of the trains were old and dirty, smelling terribly and were hardly ever on time. I once had to wait 1 1/2 hours for my train to arrive. Beware.

5) Paying For Drinking Water

Americans are used to being able to find free drinking fountains everywhere. If you are in a restaurant, you can usually get a free water or pay a few cents for one. In Europe, water comes at a premium. Several stands and markets sell bottled water for around $3 USD. That can add up after a few days or weeks in Europe. But there are a few ways around this. The obvious one, if you can, is to buy a bottled water, keep the bottle and fill it up in your hotel each day. My favorite solution is to fill up at a local fountain. This can be shady at times because you usually don't know where the water is coming from. Search around any fountain for a sign that declares that the water is "No Potable", Not Potable. If you see the sign, stay away from it. I found this trick especially useful in Switzerland. All the water pouring out of the fountains is drinkable. Most of the water runs straight from the alps and is treated. I've lived on the water from those fountains for months and am still alive. Nothing like fresh spring water from the alps to quench your thirst. This is one of the rare free things I've found in Europe

6) Using Cash vs. Cards

This tip is useful for traveling to any country. When you arrive at your destination, find an ATM and pull out a good chunk of cash. Try not to use cards for every transaction. This is wise because whenever you are using you debit/credit cards in a foreign country, you will get slapped with an exchange fee and monster transaction fees every time you use your cards. Using cash can also get you out of a bind quicker if you need to pay for food or have some sort of emergency that requires immediate payment. Make sure to tell your bank before you leave, which countries you will be in and the dates you will be there so that they don't lock your account as a fraud protection when using your card outside the U.S.

These are just six things I wish somebody would have let me know before my first trip to Europe. I believe these tips are useful not just for Europe but for travel in general. Every time I travel, especially to Europe, I pick up lots of things that I wish I would have done or known about before I left. Please feel free to leave any tips you would have liked to have known before your first trip to a foreign country. Its always good to be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment